Paint and Seal Application Method
The same features that make silicone sealants ideal – good extension and
compression capabilities – also make them difficult to paint. If your paint
doesn’t have as much movement capability as your sealant, it will crack, peel
and fall off. A proven, innovative procedure known as the Paint and Seal
Application Method makes it easy to use silicone sealants like Dow Corning®
Contractors Concrete Sealant and Dow Corning® Contractors Weatherproofing
Sealant on paintable substrates.
What is the Paint and Seal Application Method?
1. Prior to painting, prepare the joints and wall surfaces according to the
sealant and coating manufacturer’s instructions. Install a backer rod in the
joint opening, allowing the backer to protrude just outside the joint opening
(do not place the backer rod to its “proper” depth).
2. Apply paint (or selected coating) to building surfaces, allowing the
backer rod to “mask” the joint cavity.
3. After the final coat of paint has dried, remove the backer rod and clean
the joint. Install backer rod to the proper depth (the backer rod used for
“masking” can be rotated and re-used for this application).
4. Install sealant according to recommended procedures.
What are the advantages of the Paint and Seal Application Method?
1. Paintability of sealant is not required.
2. No peeling or cracking of paint because the sealant is NOT painted.
3. Allows selection of sealant that provides superior long-term
4. Lower likelihood of contractor callbacks or latent defects actions.
What are people saying about the Paint and Seal Application
Jayson Barnhart, president of CAPROCK Specialty Contractors, LLP, in Dallas,
Texas, says, “It [Paint and Seal] is a little more work on the front end, but
the results are outstanding. And, unlike our urethane jobs that have cracking
and peeling paint, we have yet to get a callback or complaint about joints we
filled using silicone sealants and this method. The seals and color retention
are still beautiful, even after baking in the Texas sun for a couple of years.
When I figure how much that saves me in callbacks alone, the extra prep
required at installation is nothing.”
If you want a coating that has the movement capability of a sealant –
take a look at Dow
Corning® AllGuard Silicone Elastomeric Coating.